Saturday, July 27, 2013

Resources for learning to Paint and a little about Composition/Critiquing

July 27, 2013

If you are wondering why the last blog you received from me was empty, it is because I accidently deleted it somehow.  I'm still not sure how it happened. 

This time I saved it to Word first.  There are some tough lessons in the world of technology. 

 

Blog for today, Take #2

 
 
 
 
 
another resource in helping to learn to paint.....
There are so many magazines available that are a big help in learning how to paint.  There are some that concentrate on instruction and other that show paintings from the past and present of known artists. 
I have subscribed to so many that I have collected hundreds of magazines over the last 15 years.  My list is so long that I can't even include everything about them in one blog or say which one is my favorite.
 
American Artist has articles about artists and their methods and always has at least one very comprehensive demo.
If it would help anyone, I could get a sampling together from my 15 year collection and give you one of each that I subscribe to now and from the past.  If you are interested just leave a note under comments or email me (cbjmail@cox.net).  I could leave them at LibertyTown Arts Workshop for you if you live in Fredricksburg, Va or nearby.  It would be a good way to decide on the  what you like best. 
Here is my list:
The Artist
American Artist
American Art Review
American Art Collector
PleinAir Magazine
Professional Artist
International Artist
2 on watercolor
Sketching (out of print now)
More about magazines in next few blogs.
 
Composition and Critiquing
 
 
Some time ago I asked  that you email  me a photo of a painting for gentle critique.  Teachers that I have had always would say what is good about a painting,  then what would make the painting better, all very positive. 
Here is lovely painting that will make an emotional connection to someone.  I like the way the ballet slippers overlap and get smaller  from front to back creating depth and a path into the painting.  Being consistent with the light source and shadows might be helpful. 
Thank you for sending this painting to me.  Best of luck to you for your show. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
test  aaaaaaaaa
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol..I just wanted to tell you I think you are doing a fantastic job of blogging. I think you are still in your 30 days challenge? I don't always have time to comment, but I do see your posts in my blog feed and wanted you to know I still follow what you are doing here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a little late, but thank you for reading my blog. Leslie Saeta is having another challenge. It's painting 30 in 30 days. I just joined it. Time for another challenge.

    ReplyDelete