Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Compostion # 12 - The Dirty Dozen

July 16, 2013

A dozen is  good place to stop writing about composition.  It's been a good review for me.  I have to keep reminding myself of the need for planning and design in every painting.  I love to paint and will paint anything in front of me without planning if I don't stop for this step.  

I like the way the book The Simple Secret to better Painting by Greg Albert summarizes with one rule of composition:    NEVER MAKE ANY TWO INTERVALS ALIKE.  Variety is another way of putting it.  It sounds easy, but it applies to every aspect including color, temperature, value and more.  

There are lots of good example in the book.  

I going to keep using Pinterest to stay aware of composition and keep these two books next to my easel.  

(I looked for a few paintings of mine where I was thinking hard about composition).









No comments:

Post a Comment