Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Composition

 
 
July 3, 2013
I wanted to stick with theme of composition for awhile.  Mainly because it is something I want to improve in my own paintings.  This is my day to do paperwork, so I am going back to a painting that I did awhile ago, but one where my emphasis was achieving a composition with strong abstract shapes and an entrance into the painting. The angle of the fabric leads you into the painting
 
I remember doing a thumbnail and really trying to put these principles into practice.  I need to keep this book open when I paint.  . 
 
 
All this is on page 33 of Ian Robert's book, Mastering Composition.  He is writing on new one called Search for Beauty.   It won't be published for awhile, but I can't wait to get it. 
 
 
 
I think this was an 8 x 10.  It did sell right away so there be something to taking the time to plan a painting. 

PS - Later  today I plan to do some thumbnails at least to stick to the composition a day plan, maybe for a month even though I know a year would be better. 

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from UBC...

    I'm always impressed and in awe for those who paint. More specifically, those who can make a one dimensional flat canvas come alive in 3D. I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler so I think your composition is fabulous.

    Peggy
    ***
    http://thestepmomstoolbox.com

    ReplyDelete