Sunday, February 2, 2014

Painting Loosely

February 2, 2014

These are all reminders to me about painting loosely.  It is a look that I like and includes thinking about abstract shapes and pieces of color. 

Things that have helped me to paint loosely, keep bold brushwork and bright color:

     Maintain darks in the painting  (Dream Tolle Perry's class helped me with this) because of her use of a dark transparent underpainting. If you use the "search button" top right corner of this page, I summarized her class in an old blog posting. 

     Use deliberate brushwork and lots of paint

     Keep colors clean

(These would all be good topics for future blogs.)

Here is my latest painting where I put a lot of what I learned in Dreama's class to work. 

I try to stick to the process of doing a drawing,  a study (as many as I need to perfect the color and composition) and the final painting. 

Step 1:  Thank you to Nancy Bradley for letting me use this photo.  She is such a good photographer.






Step 2:  Study (6 x 6)


Step 3: Final Painting ( 12 x 12)


The biggest change was in the colors.  Notice the accents of complementary color on the leaves and shutters especially, another technique that Dreama taught us, taking advantage of color theory and just for the pure joy of colors you love. 

8 comments:

  1. I like this Carol...what prompted you to make a painting about the hour of dusk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was dusk. How can you tell? So the answer is, it was an accident. I really like the looseness of your paintings. If I lived closer I would take your class. My sister lives in Savannah, but it's a 12 hour train ride from here.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful painting Carol!!! And thanks for sharing your process. I also took a class from Dreama and Leslie and it was great--they give so much good/useful info. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the looseness in both the study and the larger version. It's something I am struggling with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreama's class helped me with looseness and pieces of color. Doing that first transparent layer of darks helps hold onto the darks because they peek through the top layer. I have to work on loose brushwork all the time.

      Delete
  4. Where did you find Qiang-huang's video? I did not see it on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://quangho.com/Instructional_DVDs.html

      See if this link works. This is for Quang Ho. I have Quang Ho's dvd's and have watched them all several times. He really hits on some valuable info especially the one called "Nuts and Bolts". Did you see Qiang Huang's latest painting?

      Delete
  5. Carol, I love your hollyhock painting. It is wonderfully loose. Great tips too.

    ReplyDelete