Monday, August 26, 2013

my own challenge - finding ways to improve

August 26, 2013 - Look at the work of other artists to see how they solve problems, then practice practice practice.  (or should I say Paint Paint Paint)




This weekend I did a painting of two donuts.  I was disappointed in how the paper bag that I used in the background turned out.  So I did a little research to find examples of how other artists accomplished this.  I came across an outstanding demo by Karen Appleton that she did on her blog. 
I'm including a link to her blog.  It sounds simple to paint a paper bag, but it isn't. 

My plan is to do a few more.  I love the way Karen Appleton made value changes and brought in interesting colors.  Thank you Karen putting this especially helpful demo on your blog

http://karenappleton.blogspot.com/

Here are the photos of my own challenge.



photo of still life


underpainting
 almost finished - need to push darks and lights
I'm on the right track, will probably do a few more for practice.  I used the blue-green because it is the complement of orange, but next time might use neutral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment