Monday, October 26, 2015

Lost Edges

EDGES

I am always looking for insights from other artists about edges.  Whenever I feel that I am not thinking about them enough in my paintings I re-read the articles I can find by Carolyn Anderson.  A lot of them are posted on her website.  Here is a link: http://www.carolynanderson.com/articles.htm

There is a artist profile about Carolyn Anderson in the Feb-Mar 2015 Plein Air Magazine. 

The last three pumpkin paintings I have done were efforts to remind myself about hard edges, soft edges and lost edges. 

It looks like I paint a lot of pumpkins.   All of the pumpkins are from Snead's Farm, a place in Fredericksburg that I love and one pumpkin was picked by my granddaughter Hannah, painted in two of the paintings.  Both very good reasons to paint pumpkins.

Carolyn Anderson was also interviewed on a radio show.  I'm pretty sure it was "Artists Helping Artists".


Sharp edges here and soft ones in the background and shadow side.
 Especially soft edges on the shadow side.


 
This one has hard, soft and lost edges plus use of the palette knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment