Sunday, December 1, 2013

Abstract Painting

December 1, 2013


Recently I mentioned in a blog that I have read and many teachers have said:  "under every good painting is a good abstract painting."   Then I asked  myself  "what is a good abstract painting?'

That is what I have been trying to figure out in the past couple of years.  I've always liked abstract paintings, but didn't really know why so I signed for a class several years ago about how to paint an abstract painting.  Before that in a class I took at VCU in studio painting the teacher happened to be one who painted primarily in abstracts and she gave us a class lecture one day of an overview of the history.  I was very intrigued by her work, too. 

My own idea was that design had to be a big part of it.  I kept a list of the elements and principles of design taped to my easel when I did my first big abstract.  I figured that had to be a big part of it. 

My next blog will be about what I learned in the class I took about abstract painting.  I started a pinterest board with abstracts and have included the link

link to pinterest board Abstract


Update on marketing:  In the last month I opened an ETSY shop.  I've enjoyed learning about it.  It does seem like a great option for selling your paintings.  I stumbled across the ETSY mini which you see on the sidebar of this blog.  If anyone knows how to make it fit within the column, I would love to hear it.

I added free shipping and a 25% off coupon in time for cyber Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment