Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Palette

January 20, 2015

My husband made me a new palette which is 32 inches wide.  It is so nice to have this extra space for mixing, but I am actually using fewer colors.  Back to the split primary palette with a change from cerulean to phthalo blue. I tried it and you can just mix some white into the phthlo to create a cerulean and it's nice to have that dark on your palette for making dark greens and black.   I'm reading Carol Marine's book and she uses phthalo blue (green shade.  I go back and forth between the three primaries and the split primaries. 

Here are two recent paintings using the limited palette (split primaries), doing a small study first then a larger one using what I learned from the study about color and composition.  I pushed the darks in the second one and used fewer brush strokes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment